Monday, March 31, 2008

A family affair?

This afternoon I had a productive meeting with Lorne and Lisa about April's training schedule leading up to the TC 10K. Some interesting workouts coming up and some longer runs. It begins in earnest tomorrow.

I've changed my running lexicon as of today, the word "hard", as in a hard run will now always be "fast", as in a fast run. I think my mind takes the word "hard" at its implicit meaning. A "hard" workout is something to dread, avoid, and worry about. A fast run is efficient, nearly effortless, and something akin to beauty.

So.... I ran about 8.5k today with the return leg fast. I wasn't terribly fast, as I covered the last k in 4:03; but what it lacked in speed, it made up for in running well. I really concentrated on keeping light feet, and trying to capture the above mentioned beauty in motion.

When I started my run today on the seawalk, I saw a figure running towards me, and was startled to see that it was my very own Mom! Brother Roy runs a 5k race on Saturday, and now my Mom is out running....... The times they are a changin'. The next 5k race may see more family members running than I ever dreamt possible.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

An excellent entry! I think it must have been very inspiring to see your Mom running.

And I am extremely happy to hear that you can walk away from the session with a better sense of what you want to get from a training session. Every run cannot be about the numbers. Some runs have to address economy and aerobic efficiency.

And some runs just have to be about you or the sunshine or your kids or your wife... It is a fairly big part of your "spare" time. Revel in the beauty of it!

Lawrence said...

My Ma has lost some 30lb just by eating properly (based on the Canada Food Guide), reading food labels, and getting active.

Inspiring!

Anonymous said...

My wife and I are of the cult following of your mother's new inspired HIGH Fibre and healthy, label reading diet.
Go Lorraine Go
Seems like the family has some genes for running after all!