Thursday, January 04, 2007

A January squall

When I got up this morning, the weather appeared calm, but as the time ticked toward the moment Patrick was to show up and join me for a run, the wind started howling. Then it got worse. We headed out running down the main highway in town and realized we wouldn't be taking much of this. First wind, then rain, and finally hail started pelting us.... and it actually stung a bit when it hit you in the face. We promptly turned around to have the wind at our back, and things improved a bit; but we cut our run short and only managed 25' before we scurried for the safety of our respective homes. By the time I walked in the door I had snow on my jacket.

This squall was short, and an hour later the weather improved, and it turned out to be a decent afternoon. Because of work, I missed the good weather and headed straight for the gym afterward. Because my shoes were still wet from this morning, and hadn't dried properly in my car, I got to use these shoes. These Brooks racing flats are light and built for speed, so I obliged them by taking the last mile of my 20' run on the tready in 6:00. These shoes aren't used to going that slow, so it probably was a nice rest day for them. A strength workout followed my run and I was done for the day............

2 comments:

Michael said...

Good effort, at least you got out there. This weather "has" to start turning soon... doesn't it?

How are you feeling about the series, which is going to be your first race?

Lawrence said...

The weather has been tough for running this winter....I wish I could fast forward to April.

I think I'll run the steveston 8K at the end of this month. Is this the series you mean?