Sunday, May 06, 2007

Boil that water!

I love those runs that feel great; you're just ticking along, and nothing feels better than the confidence and ability to be moving over land at a good pace.

This wasn't one of those runs.

I bet you could see that last line coming a mile away. I dragged up that opening cliche due to a stunning lack of imagination.

On my schedule was a 10K "boiling water" run, starting out verrry slowly and building till the end. I retraced the Cranberry Lake loop, as I did this just before last Sunday's race. It was a good thing I was starting slowly, as my bones and legs felt creaky, and I carried a persistent cough around the still Lake. I had to stop about 3k in and do one dry heave -- nothing came up--much to the relief of passing motorists, and after walking for about 1', I started back. I thought about turning around, but I was almost into it half way. I salvaged the run in the last quarter of it by picking up the pace, especially hitting my stride along Bowness Ave.

My time was almost identical to the run I did a week ago, where I felt great and it was a real confidence building run. It's funny how I felt pretty dreadful during most of the run, but my time was comparable. I'll take that as the one positive from today's run.

----

I see on the news today the BMO Vancouver Marathon was run in rainy conditions this morning. Lots of local runners took part in the 1/2 marathon -- kudos to my cousin Charlene for a solid 1:42!

---

Quote of the day:

God is on everyone's side; and in the last analysis, he is on the side with plenty of money and large armies.

-- Jean Anouilh

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

If I am not mistaken, it has been about 7 days since your euphoric success. The lows are part of what makes the highs and your assignment is to keep your head level with the water regardless of how big the waves are.

I would say that you have done just that! Well done.