Thursday, February 08, 2007

Incoming!

When I got home from work I received in my inbox a message from my Coach. His message was just what I needed to hear. His message responded to my general complaint yesterday about lacking zip in my legs. He didn't say, "suck it up Lawrence", he's too polite for that....I think....but it was full of the usual thoughtful stuff. Coach's message registered, and it helped me keep on message today during my hill repeats.

Patrick joined me for the hill repeats, and ran with me, which was nice, but in a way I feel cheated. He's faster than I am and when he works out at my pace it's not as strenuous for him as it is for me. The hill repeats went really well, and I was happy with the workout. It was nice feeding off someone when the going got tough at the 3/4 point of the hill. I felt overall I did better this week compared to last week's same workout.

After we finished the run, we walked down to the ocean at the bottom of my street. Once at the beach, the walk to the water seemed like another distance to overcome, as the tide was really low. It's rocky and muddy there, not providing the best wading in point, but it sufficed. We spent a good amount of time in the water today, with the first 2:30" basically screaming, crying and whining about our existence... the water was so COLD..... But then, things grew calm, a zen-like serenity trumped our hostility, as we became one with the water. Our legs were numb now, and pain was not travelling along their regular neural paths. This was good. I could feel the benefits flowing around my legs. Another few minutes in the water and we waded out, breaking our zen-like state, and walking back home in a general state of chill.

A highlight of the workout: during the warmup, Patty was strafed and hit by a gull. Beautiful! This guy's luck has no bounds.....

No comments: