Tuesday, March 06, 2007

Desperation

desperation |ˌdespəˈrā sh ən| noun a state of despair, typically one that results in rash or extreme behavior : she wrote to him in desperation.

I got home from work, looking at the rain with much foreboding. I made a frenzied call to my coach to see if my scheduled 3K time trial could be cancelled in exchange for something in drier environs. Coach was curt, coach was adamant, coach said:

"Do it. It might rain at the race".

So with no more wiggle room, I made my way to the track, in the diminishing light, track full of water, with a tad to much running gear for a TT, but right for the conditions.

It actually wasn't that bad once I was out there (as always), and am actually a bit embarrassed having called coach looking for an out. My time was slow, but I felt great during the run. I ran the first 2K conservatively and picked it up for the last K. I don't have splits, but my time was 10:54. Slow, but given the circumstances, I'll take it.

No comments: