Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Run and Surge

No, I'm not going to write about the American troop surge in Iraq. This is about my first run today of a new workout that Coach calls Run/surge. He's laid out a circuit just up the hill from my home that involves me running a straight stretch as a recovery portion, and a loop that requires me to surge at a pace a little less than 5K race pace; but concentrating on running well, smoothly and efficiently. Nothing is timed, distances are not measured, it is all done intuitively. In fact, I don't know the exact distance of the loop, but I would guesstimate it at 1300-1400m-- just shy of a mile.

There was a wicked wind blowing as I ran the road portions that went in a general West-East and North-South direction. That left East-West as my opportunity for a tailwind. Trouble was there was only about 100m in this direction. Despite the wind, I felt the "surge" portion went well, but I think I allowed the recovery section to be a bit soft, as this was to be at about 4:20/k or 7:14/mile pace. I need to pick it up here next time. Not a bad run though.

I was hoping to make it to the Shorerunners 2 run group tonight to get some easy additional K's in, but with my daughter not feeling well, and some projectile vomiting hitting the couch and carpet, I decided to stay home. Tomorrow I've got a 60' run in the cards.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Pretty good guess! I think 1.4857 K, give or take a couple of centimetres. And yes, 4:17 might be a tad soft for you. But it's your first time - so what me worry?? Good workout!

I hope that Audrey is feeling better.

Lawrence said...

Where do you get the 4:17 number from? Were you behind a hedge timing?